Great introduction to Docker by Geman Jaber.
Here’s his “Top 5” list:
- Isolating an application dependencies
- Creating an application image and replicating it
- Creating ready to start applications that are easily distributable
- Allowing easy and fast scalation of instances
- Testing out applications and disposing them afterwards
The idea behind Docker is to create portable lightweight containers for software applications that can be run on any machine with Docker installed, regardless of the underlying OS, akin to the cargo containers used on ships. Pretty ambitious, and they’re succeeding.
Full blog here